Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Fondant Fun - Pokemon Style

I love making cupcakes. I love making things in general. But there aren't enough occasions to do so. So, birthdays are always my excuse to make cupcakes! These were for a friend's birthday, and were one of my first adventures with fondant.

First I made chocolate cupcakes and peanut butter frosting. Both recipes came from the book on my counter in the picture: 500 cupcakes. It's a keeper.

I started with a block of store bought white fondant, and picked a design that only required several colors of fondant: Pokemon! Then I split up my fondant and kneaded in the food coloring. This was sticky and messy and gross. Then I washed my hands. 


Next, I cut out circles the size of the top of my cupcakes, which conveniently happened to be the same size as a glass. So I used the glass like a cookie cutter. Then I spread some frosting on the cupcake, like glue, and placed the fondant circle on top.


I broke down the cupcakes down into shapes, and cut all of the shapes for the Pokeballs and Pikachu faces.


And then stuck them on using little dabs of water. Easy-peasy. 

The verdict? Fondant is not so bad. It's actually pretty fun. 

But I've seen Cake Boss, so I know I still have a long way to go. No fondant Mona Lisa's for me yet. I'll be sure to show you when I attempt, though. 

And I'm now accepting cupcake requests/challenges. =]



No comments:

Post a Comment